E.ON staff downed tools on Toryglen site after altercation with residents

Article Posted on: September 25, 2017

Eon

Staff working on the troubled Toryglen home improvement project downed tools for several days over fears for their safety.

E.ON workers – contracted by Thistle Housing Association to make 608 houses more energy efficient – left the site on Thursday after an alleged altercation with residents.

The company said they returned to the project – already running more than a year behind schedule – on Tuesday.

A spokesman for E.ON said: “We have had to take steps to withdraw colleagues while we ensure the site is safe enough for them to complete the works in the coming weeks.

“We took this decision after one of our site supervisors and an independent building inspector, who was reporting on the works at residents’ request, were verbally abused by a small group of residents while on a tour of the estate and prevented from leaving.

“The safety of our employees is paramount and it is completely unacceptable that our staff should be treated in this way.”

The alleged incident occurred following a series of problems at people’s homes, which residents attribute to sub standard work by the contractor.

E.ON was tasked with replacing roofs, windows and roughcasting and installing insulation in Toryglen flats and houses to make them more energy efficient.

But residents say roughcasting applied to buildings is cracking, allowing water to infiltrate properties and cause damp.

They also say there are problems with windowsills and new roofs, which they say are not in line with gutters, again causing water to lash on to the roughcast.

The work, which started in June 2016, was originally due to take 12 weeks.

A spokesperson for Thistle Housing Association said; “E.ON temporarily removed its workmen from the energy efficiency works at Toryglen last Thursday but has now resumed work on site.

“Thistle Housing Association is continuing to liaise with all parties to allow the final phase of work and snagging to continue as we strive for a conclusion to these works, within a safe environment for all.”

Ian Paterson, who has lead a campaign to demand action and answers as to how this scheme has failed so badly, said residents had been let down again.

He said: “People are absolutely sick and tired of it.

“There is one block where I stay and another around the corner. They started it in March. It’s now September, it’s nine weeks behind and there are no workers.

“It’s horrendous.”

Source http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/eon-staff-downed-tools-toryglen-11206469

Back to Articles
Shares