A consultation on plans to build a 3,600 lorry park off the M20 is to be launched this week.
Highways England says it wants people to comment on the designs for the site at Stanford West, near to junction 11, in a bid to “minimize the impact on the surrounding area”.
The proposal, which has been met with significant criticism, was drawn up following months of cross-Channel disruption, which brought about Operation Stack for 32 days last summer.
£250m of taxpayers’ money has been committed to the project, which will be used to keep the M20 clear of traffic – but may also be used for an overnight lorry park.
Highways England project director Adrian Sheppard said: “This is a solution to the problems caused by Operation Stack that has been talked about for decades, but on which we have made a great deal of progress in less than a year.
“Following our consultation earlier this year, we have been working hard to refine our plans and are now keen to hear what people think about these.
“I encourage anyone who would like to understand more or ask questions to visit us at one of the public exhibitions we are holding.”
Details of the consultation are due to be unveiled at 6am on Friday morning.
Construction work at the site is set to start “as soon as possible”, with spaces available from next summer.