Crown Highways | Installing Innovative Michelin Wheely Safe technology on its HGV fleet
All of the Crown Highways HGV fleet have had the new innovative Michelin Wheely Safe system installed, following on from the tyre pressure monitoring systems installed last year. This provides extra safety benefits to the workforce when driving out on the network.
The system is the first ever driver in motion wheel loss and brake over heat system in the world to reduce wheel displacement and brake hub fires which are common occurrences on HGV vehicles.
The system monitors wheel loss, tyre pressure and brake temperatures all of which alert the driver whilst in motion, thus avoiding wheel loss and dangerous incidents.
The other benefits include :
- Fuel (less rolling resistance now tyres are being monitored, so better fuel returns)
- Tyres (increased life with pressures being monitored, for Increase in Temperature, leakages and possible blowouts)
- Reduced Vehicle Breakdowns (its reported that tyres attribute to 30% of breakdowns of which 90% is pressure related)
- Reduced Labour costs (attending breakdowns for punctures & speeding up of tyre check process, which can be done in seconds with our additional revolutionary contactless pressure checker)
- Reduced vehicle downtime.
- Reduced Insurance Costs, (possible reduced Premiums) with Tyre pressure being monitored, as its fact that in correctly inflated tyres account for 9% of fatal accidents & 41% of serious road injury accidents
Reduced Court costs & Legal representation, should the worse scenario occur.
- Easy to fit system with no complicated pairing of the devices.
- NO confusing programming of pressures into receiver.
- NO programming when adding new sensors
- Universal language of signs for the receiver rather than confusing numerical numbering to none conversant users.
Crown Highways are installing this technology on the Midlands Highways England fleet of 61 Winter Vehicles over the next few months in readiness for the next Winter season.
Mike Dale, Managing Director told us:
“It is always exciting to bring a new product to market and to share the best practice across our industry, we hope this innovative technology can be used across the industry and make HGV vehicles safer for all our drivers.”