Delta Bloc UK | M54 Resurfacing
Following the introduction of Delta Bloc UK’s DB 100 on HighwaysIndustry.Com in late 2014, the Yorkshire based vehicle restraint systems developer are celebrating further success.
Despite tough competition from the steel industry Costainawarded the contract to Delta Bloc UK to supply, install and maintain 20km of DELTA BLOC DB 65S temporary road safety barrier to the resurfacing project near Telford. Delta Bloc UK were able to rapidly mobilise production of new barrier stocks at one of their UK based manufacturing sites, meaning that they could offer assurances to Costain about their ability to supply the contract with new product on top of their already extensive rental pool. The total quantity required for the scheme was manufactured and available in little over 4 weeks waiting for installation to start on site in January.
“We’re extremely pleased. The competition was extremely fierce and we’re genuinely proud to have been able to rise above the rest on this one. It’s a great recognition for the quality of our products and the efficiency of our team.”
Tony Walker, General Manager, Delta Bloc UK
Installation of the DELTA BLOC DB 65S temporary barrier has already begun in accordance with the contract programme which sees multiple visits to site to offer the client the optimum balance of transport and installation charges versus rental charges, to ensure the scheme offers best value. The phased installation works are expected to be complete by March 2015 and will remain in place on site until April 2015.
This Highways Agency scheme involves replacement of the drainage, vehicle restraint systems and resurfacing of the westbound carriageway.
The DELTA BLOC DB 65S barrier being used provides safe working areas for vulnerable road workers as an important part of the traffic management solution for the scheme. With an N2 containment level and W4 working width, which is less than the competing steel systems, the DELTA BLOC DB 65S provides maximum safety whilst also offering the maximum working area behind the temporary barrier. With narrow motorways like the M54 the low deflection of the DELTA BLOC DB 65S system can a significant asset to traffic management solutions.
For roads like the M54 the fact that the system does not require intermediate anchorages to restrict the working width is a huge plus. As the M54 is a concrete carriageway, any intermediate anchorages, used predominantly in steel systems, would increase the installation time and cost and would require alternative methods of re-instatement upon removal of the temporary barrier system.
In addition to the EN 1317-2 contianment level N2, the system has also been positively crash tested to H1 which gives additional substance to the systems performance characteristics, and offers flexibility depending on the individual site circumstances.
In summary, the DELTA BLOC DB 65S offers the following advantages;
- High metres per load compared to other concrete systems – reduced transport costs.
- Light and easy to place using mechanical scissor type grab
- High installation rates – circa 300m per hour
- No intermediate anchors or pins required to achieve W4 working width
- No working at height issues with delivery and off load process
- DELTA BLOC barrier units delivered in correct installation orientation so no ‘flipping’ or turning of units is required at the point of construction.
- Barriers are multi directional. can be installed/removed from centre point should replacement of impact damaged units be required
- Very small curve radii with no prior planning required – ≤ 38m is possible with standard couplings. Tighter radii are possible by using extended couplings
- Can be linked through standard transitions to other higher containment DELTA BLOC systems e.g. H4a to N2 containment level
With the first contract of the year secured, the stage is set for Delta Bloc UK to shine in 2015. Keep up to date with the Delta Bloc UK journey on HighwaysIndustry.Com.
DELTA BLOC UK can offer a full range of temporary barriers that meet all the containment levels specified in DMRB TD 19/06 from N2 to H4a.
For further information please contact Delta Bloc:
Tel: 0845 30 40 705