Location: Poulton-le-Fylde, A585 Windy Harbour to Skippool.
Full time site-based role in a COVID secure working environment.
Business Area: Kier Highways, Major Projects, Regional Delivery Partnership (RDP)
Kier Group has long believed that we all have the potential to shape our world – and leave a lasting legacy. So bring your talent and ambition to our team and you’ll be given the scope and opportunity to achieve just that - investing in your own future, building your expertise and contributing to a diverse culture that’s helping shape the world of tomorrow.
Every day, 210,000 vehicles travel across the 31,000km of roads, bridges and tunnels that are built, maintained and operated by the team here at Kier Group. It’s one of the reasons why we’re acknowledged as the UK’s No.1 Highways Services team -delivering £1 billion of social value to the six million people and wider communities who rely on our expertise and experience. Can you join our team? Yes, you can - if you want to be valued for who you are as well as what you do, in a company shaping the future.
To manage and lead on all environmental matters related to the project, supporting the site-based team providing advice and support to ensure activities comply with environmental legislation and meet the requirements of the Development Consent Order.
Reporting to the Senior Environmental Manager, this is an exciting opportunity for a proactive individual that enjoys a fast-paced role, who understands risk, is a confident communicator and enjoys site-based interaction.
In this front-line role, you will be responsible for:
- Ensuring that environmental requirements in the Development Consent Order are communicated to the site team and work together with the project team to ensure compliance.
- Collaborate with the site-based team and the client (Highways England) to understand all environmental requirements and commitments and ensure that they are met, collecting and presenting evidence to demonstrate close out.
- Deliver regular updates to the Client and environmental assurance team presenting at the monthly governance meeting.
- Update and maintain the Construction Environmental Management Plan and associated environmental management system plans that form part of the site management system.
- Perform site audits on a frequent basis to verify compliance, engage with the project team, advocate best practice and work with the team to ensure corrective action where appropriate.
- Perform internal and third-party audits, lead on ISO14001: 2015 audits and lead stakeholder audits.
- Apply for all environmental permits and consents that are required in a timely manner and ensure that conditions are complied with through site-based engagement and training where required.
- Manage the site waste management performing the required Duty of Care checks, third party audits, check that waste is fully assessed and documented for all waste streams.
- Use Smartwaste to record waste movements.
- Obtaining section 61 consents where required and liaise with local authorities regarding potential nuisance issues (noise, vibration, dust, light). Ensure the project team are aware of any conditions or restrictions.
- Working with the community relations team to ensure timely communication to potentially affected residents. Preparing accurately written responses to correspondence in a prompt manner. Able to communicate technical information in a way that is easily understood.
- Communicating with the public and other stakeholders in a confident fact based manner.
- Working proactively with project delivery teams to ensure environmental issues are adequately understood and managed and provide support and guidance on environmental issues.
- Provide expert advice on noise, flood risk, waste, materials management (CL:AIRE), environmental permitting, environmental controls.
- Lead on the environmental data collection and reporting for the RDP Supply Chain Sustainability Tool.
- Collect data that needs to be reported internally and externally on various metrics including energy, water, carbon, waste and various other sustainability metrics.
- Oversee the production of a quarterly carbon footprint for the project using Highways England’s carbon reporting tool and produce monthly progress reports for the project and Kier management.
- Lead the implementation of Kier Highways Sustainability Strategy and One Planet Action Plan on the project.
- Work with the Senior Environmental Manager to ensure consistency of environmental delivery across Kier Highways major projects portfolio.
- Identify, develop and deliver environmental toolbox talks and environmental training to the project delivery team.
- Critically review project environmental performance and data with a view to identifying opportunities for continual improvement or developing best practice.
- Undertake routine site audit visits and report these on Kier’s management system.
- Investigate environmental incidents and produce investigation reports.
- Lead the environmental section of the Considerate Constructors Scheme.
What are we looking for?
- Environmental degree or equivalent
- ISO14001: 2015 Lead Auditor
- MS Office, Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint to a high standard
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to work in a range of environments.
- Professional membership of an environmental institute (Practitioner/Full Member/Chartered)
- Working towards Chartered Environmentalist (CEnv)
- Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) card
The successful candidate will need to have experience within a similar role.
- Significant experience in environmental management
- Experience working under or delivering a Development Consent Order
- Construction Industry experience/ Large Infrastructure projects
- Experience of dealing with regulators
- Expert knowledge of environmental best practice and environmental legislation
- Engaged in the sustainability agenda
- Excellent presentation and persuasion skills at a high level
- Experience in dealing with supply chain, contractors, customers and other stakeholders.
What can you expect from us?
You can expect a competitive salary and an outstanding package that includes a company car, private healthcare, a matched pension scheme up to 7.5%, 26 days’ annual leave (with the opportunity to buy or sell holiday), two employee Share Scheme options, together with additional valuable benefits such as:
- Free Life Assurance
- Access to a range of attractive Flexible benefit options to tailor your package to suit your lifestyle
- Flexible and Agile working (dependent on your role)
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Access to Kier Rewards, our exclusive Discount Shopping Site with deals available at over 800 retailers
- Plus, many more benefits geared to your wellbeing.
It’s worth remembering that we’ll undertake the relevant/standard employment checks if you’re successful in the selection process. This includes taking up your references, as well as checking your ID, driving licence (if appropriate) and your right to work in the UK. Some roles may also be subject to further pre-employment checks. We encourage flexible working wherever possible in your role - and this may allow you to work from home or from one of our other offices/sites, if appropriate.
Make the journey. Leave a legacy.
Being part of Kier means living our values of being Collaborative, Trusted and Focused. We all have the potential to shape our world, and it’s through these values that we will leave a lasting legacy.
Bring your talent and ambition to Kier and you will be given the scope and opportunity to invest in your own future, to build your expertise and contribute to a rich and diverse culture.
Kier is an inclusive employer.
Closing Date: 9th April 2021
To apply for the role, please follow this link - https://kier.referrals.selectminds.com/jobs/environmental-manager-14356
Please note, interviews may take place before the closing date, and we reserve the right to close applications early.