Supervisor (Civils & Drainage)
Covering the West Midlands Area (Highways England’s maintenance Area 9).
Roles / Responsibilities:
To plan and co-ordinate works and be the main contact point for the client and/or ‘Contacts Manager’. The Supervisor will take responsibility for the safety, quality and environmental elements of their work sites and the welfare of the employees therein.
- Liaise with clients and develop good business relationships
- Ensure a steady flow of work is issued by the client(s) to maintain the site resource levels
- Survey potential works and submit reports to the commercial department for pricing
- Plan, be responsible for and co-ordinate site works in accordance with the instructions of the client and their Contracts Manager. Prepare the associated Site Works Plan(s) / Project Management Plan(s)
- Organise and deliver associated pre-start briefings and ongoing toolbox talks, and be able to complete and submit the associated paperwork
- Deliver in accordance with the programme for the site works and keep the Contracts Manager updated on progress
- Complete all necessary documentation to allow works to start, i.e. ‘Site Specific Risk Assessment’, etc.
- Deliver general toolbox talk training sessions and method statement briefings, and complete the associated paperwork
- Ensure all works under their charge are carried out safely in accordance with our SHE Management system and that they do not pose a danger to the workers on site, sub-contractors, site visitors or members of the general public
- Manage all sub-contractors and site visitors and ensure their safety during works
- Ensure all works are carried out to the required specification and standard
- Ensure that all plant & machinery provided for the works is suitable and that it is in good working order and kept clean. In addition, they must ensure vehicles are kept clean and tidy on the inside
- Ensure all vehicle and plant checks are completed on a daily basis and before the vehicle / item of plant is used during that shift
- Ensure all Vehicle Packs within their site crews are well maintained & operatives familiar with the content
- Arrange for sufficient resources (operatives, materials, hand tools, etc) on each site to complete the work to a high standard and in a safe manner and to maintain suitable levels throughout the course of the work. Furthermore, to give accurate reports on the weekly cost of these resources
- Ensure site related paperwork, electronic daily diary and systems are completed as required
- Complete the wages sheets each week and take responsibility for operatives whereabouts and hours
- Ensure all sites are left clean and tidy at the end of each shift
- Coach and look after new starters, so that they become competent to work alongside a motorway or high speed road
- Assess worker competency and complete assessments.
- Train operatives in the various skills required for the works you supervise.
- Monitor working hours ensuring that excessive hours are not worked by individuals. Where appointed deputise for the Contracts Manager in their absence
Capabilities & Certification
- Experience in the Industries in which we work i.e. highways , etc.
- Multi skilled in all aspects of civils works
- Full clean driving licence
- An understanding of relevant health & safety legislation
- CSCS Supervisor Card
- Good computer skills
- Good commercial awareness
- Professional attitude and ability to operate without supervision
- Capable of teaching and developing operatives
- 2 years as a highways Supervisor