M57 set for extensive resurfacing during five months of works
National Highways will be carrying out essential resurfacing work this summer to fix potholes and other issues along the M57.
More than 22km of carriageway will be resurfaced from Monday 13 June following an investigation that revealed the need for deep and extensive treatments.
Over the years they have carried out a number of repairs to the carriageway between junctions 1 and 2, but the surface continued to deteriorate, with potholes and other issues forming regularly.
Without the scheduled repairs the carriageway condition would continue to worsen, meaning more regular work being required in the future.
Once completed the need for further carriageway resurfacing and closures will be reduced, minimising disruption in the long term.
They’ll also be taking the opportunity to do as much other work as possible along this section of the M57. This includes replacing road markings, traffic detection cables and bridge joints.
They are aiming to finish by the end of November 2022.
Most of the repairs will be carried out overnight (8pm to 6am) when traffic flows are at their lowest and, to ensure the safety of their workers and motorists, there will be full overnight M57 carriageway closures between junctions 1 and 3.
Overnight closures will be ongoing throughout the project, but only the northbound or southbound carriageway will be closed at any one time.
Most of the southbound closures will be between junctions 2 and 1. But there will be instances where full overnight closures between junctions 3 and 1 are needed.
To ensure the resurfacing materials set, some daytime lane and slip road closures are needed. They’ve avoided major sporting events to reduce the impact on customers.
However, as delays are expected, they’re advising motorists to avoid using this part of the network. For drivers unable to do so, please allow additional time for your journey.
They’ve scheduled six weekends of deeper resurfacing treatment work between junctions 1 and 2 of the M57. The dates, times and traffic management are below.
8pm Friday 17 June to 6am Monday 20 June 2022
- Overnight full closure of the M57 northbound between junctions 1 and 3. During the day, single lane running (hard shoulder) with a 50mph speed limit
- M57 northbound junction 1 (from Tarbock roundabout) access closed
- M62 to M57 northbound free flow link remains open
- M57 northbound junction 2 access and exit slip roads closed
8pm Friday 24 June to 6am Monday 27 June 2022
- Overnight full closure of the M57 northbound between junctions 1 and 3
- Full closure between the M57 northbound exit and access slip roads at junction 2 during the day, diversion off and on at junction 2
8pm Friday 8 July to 6am Monday 11 July 2022
- Overnight full closure of the M57 southbound between junctions 3 and 1. During the day, single lane running (hard shoulder) with a 50mph speed limit
- M57 junction 2 access and exit slip roads closed
8pm Friday 23 September to 6am Monday 26 September 2022
- Overnight full closure of the M57 southbound between junctions 3 and 1 with 50mph speed limit. During the day, single lane running (lane 3) with a 50mph speed limit
- All slip roads remain open
The fifth and sixth weekends of work are still to be finalised as they await the release of next season’s football games.
To ensure journeys are maintained, clearly signed diversions will be in place. Diversion routes and latest project updates can be found at: nationalhighways.co.uk/our-