Roadworks to be carried out on major routes across Dorset in July
Roadworks will be taking place on major routes across Dorset next month to protect main roads from water damage – and drivers are being warned of delays.
Dorset Council Highways Team will be out in force across the county in July, carrying out surface dressing on large sections of A and B roads.
Work will be carried out between 9.30am and 3.30pm under convoy working, where a vehicle travelling at 10mph will lead drivers through the works area. There will be no on-street parking available during the work.
Drivers are advised to allow extra time for their journey or find an alternative route and are warned that the convoy working will slow traffic down considerably.
Jack Wiltshire, head of highways at Dorset Council, said: “After the work has finished, an advisory 20mph speed limit will be in place while the stone chippings are further bedded-in by vehicles travelling over the surface. Our sweeper crew will remove any surplus chippings 48 hours later.
“Please drive slowly over the new surface and leave increased space between vehicles – the low speed limit is in place for the safety of road users.
“Surface dressing forms a vital part of our annual road maintenance programme, alongside micro-surfacing, in-situ recycling and resurfacing treatments. Using this variety of treatments means more of our roads get repaired with the budget available, compared to using resurfacing alone.”
The following sites are scheduled for roadworks:
- June 28 and 29: A352, Middlemarsh – parish boundary north of Tall Trees Farm, Longburton to Middlemarsh
- June 29 and 30: Ottery Lane & Horsecastles, Sherborne
- June 30 until July 2: Bristol Road, Sherborne
- July 5: A350, Blandford – A357 to Whitecliff Mill Hill
- July 6 and 7: A354 – Pimperne to Tarrant Hinton
- July 7 and 8: B3081, Cranborne – Handley Hill Roundabout to Creech Hill Farm
- July 9: B3081, Verwood – Sutton Hill Camp Site to Remedy Gate
- July 9 and 12: Ringwood Road, Verwood – Merryfield Close Roundabout to Lake Road
- July 12: Ringwood Road, Verwood – Lake Road to county boundary
- July 13: B3081, Verwood – Hampshire boundary to A31 on-slip
- July 14: Wimborne Road, Corfe Mullen
- July 14 and 15: Old Wareham Road, Corfe Mullen – A350 Blandford Road North to Springdale Road Roundabout
- July 15 and 18: Morden Road – Sherford Bridge to A351 Sandford Road Roundabout
- July 19: Dorchester Road, Wool – Burton Cross Roundabout to the junction with Bailey’s Drove
- July 19 and 20: Main Road, Osmington – west of White Horse Chalet to the junction with C42 Mills Road